Monday, October 5, 2009

IT issues

The timeline is in a good place. I've got four separate xml files that feed into different bands of the timeline now. It's all hosted on an internal server, which allows working links to a local database, and also keeps the entire thing secure.

I've also created a temporary fix for the Important People situation. I have not yet been able to create a wiki that is acceptable for the scope of this project. Security is the hurdle here. There is a requirement on the part of the client to host everything on a local server, without the possibility for outside access in any form. This is currently problematic, as the IT personnel have not been able to find a way to allow any sort of wiki software to work on more than one actual machine. So right now, I have a system in place where I can build a wiki using python-based software, but my machine is the only one that can access it. Very frustrating.

My work-around is a bunch of single html files on the local server that can act as a basic website for the Important People. It's a temporary fix, and it could work in a pinch, but it loses much of the bells and whistles of a more fully-functional wiki, especially w/r/t edit histories. I expect that finding a way to work around the limitations of my IT problem will take up the better part of the rest of this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment